We are looking for an ISLAND RANGER for the 2022 season!
This varied role will help to ensure that the island’s path network and valued green spaces are in excellent condition for locals and visitors alike. The ranger will complete practical maintenance tasks on the island’s path network across the island. The ranger will also engage with the public to encourage responsible behaviour and will also be required to assist volunteer maintenance groups.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Reactive and periodic maintenance to improve paths and associated infrastructure.
• General path work, vegetation clearance, litter picking, beach cleans, repair/maintenance of signage/infrastructure.
• Invasive Non-Native Species (INNS) management.
• Proactive visitor engagement at key locations and “hotspot” sites.
• Encourage responsible access through promotion of the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.
• Plan, organise and instruct volunteer groups in practical maintenance tasks.
• Promote the work of the Arran Access Trust, including the Arran Coastal Way and Arran Geopark.
• Work with landowners and land managers to identify issues, monitor, and remediate.
• Use social media to raise the profile of the work being done.
• Document work and contribute to reporting to the funder(s).
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
• Demonstrable experience and knowledge of footpath construction and maintenance, fencing, woodwork and drainage.
• Ability and willingness to undertake strenuous physical work
• Good organisational and time-management skills with the flexibility to re-prioritise work to meet changing demands and weather
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with an ability to build strong, professional relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
• Full driving licence.
• Local knowledge of Arran.
• First Aid certificate.
• Brush cutter, chainsaw (CS30/31) and pesticide certification (PA1/6).
• Degree or Diploma (or equivalent experience) in countryside management, nature conservation, environmental studies, or similar.
• Mountain Leader qualification.
The job is a fixed-term contract from June to end of October.
Some weekend and flexible working will be required.
We welcome applications for part-time / flexible working / job share.
Deadline: 31st of May.
Please send a CV and a brief statement telling us why you are suitable for this role.
Applications should be emailed to info@ArranGeopark.co.uk